State/Territory Government schools
Department of Education and Training
28 June 2011
Dr Ben Edwards
Senior Research Fellow
Australian Institute of Family Studies
Level 20, 485 La Trobe Street
MELBOURNE CITY VIC 3000
Dear Dr Edwards
Thank you for your application seeking approval to conduct research titled "Waves 5-8 of Growing Up in Australia, the Longitudinal Study of Australian Children" in Queensland State schools. I wish to advise that your application has been approved.
You may approach principals of the schools nominated in your application and invite them to participate in your research project. As detailed in the Department's research guidelines the following applies to the study:
- You need to obtain consent from the relevant principals before your research project can commence.
- Principals have the right to decline participation if they consider that the research will cause undue disruption to educational programs in their schools.
- Principals have the right to monitor any research activities conducted in their facilities and can withdraw their support at any time.
This approval has been granted on the basis of the information you have provided in your research proposal and is subject to the conditions detailed below.
- Perusal of and adherence to the Department's standard "Terms and Conditions of Approval to Conduct Research" in Departmental sites is required as outlined in the document at: http://education.qld.gov.au/corporate/research/terms conditions. pdf
- Any changes required by your institution's ethics committee must be submitted to the Department of Education and Training for consideration before you proceed.
- Any variations to the research proposal as originally submitted, including changes to data collection, additional research undertaken with the data, or publication based on the data beyond what is normally associated with academic studies, should be submitted to the research officer via email. Significant variations will require the submission of a new application.
- Papers and articles intended for publication that are based on data collected from Queensland state schools and/or Departmental sites should be provided to the Department for comment before release.
- Under no circumstances should any publications disclose the names of individuals or schools.
- You are required to contact the Department if you are contacted by the media about research activities conducted on Departmental sites or if you intend to use a media release about the study.
- At the conclusion of your study you are required to provide this Office and principals of participating schools with a summary of your research results and any associated published papers or materials in hard copy. You are also requested to submit the documents in electronic format, or provide a link to an online location if possible, to email Strategic Research. Failure to provide a report on your research will preclude you from undertaking any future research in Queensland State schools.
Please note that this letter constitutes approval to invite principals to participate in the research project as outlined in your research application. This approval does not constitute ethics approval or support for the general and commercial use of an intervention or curriculum program, software program or other enterprise that you may be evaluating as part of your research.
Should you require further information on the research application process, please feel free to contact Dr Karen Barnett, Principal Research Officer, Strategic Policy and Research on (07) 3238 3176. Please quote the file number 550/27/1098 in future correspondence.
I wish your study every success.
Dr John Dungan
Strategic Policy and Research
Trim ref: 11/164083
30 Mary Street Brisbane 4000
PO Box 15033 City East
Queensland 4002 Australia
Telephone 131 304
ABN 76 337 613 647