State/Territory Government schools
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Office for Policy, Research Innovation
2 Treasury Place
East Melbourne, Victoria, 3002,
Telephone+61 9637 2000
GPO Box 4367
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Dr Ben Edwards
Senior Research Fellow, Longitudinal Studies
Australian Institute of Family Studies
Level 20, 485 La Trobe Street
MELBOURNE CITY 3000
Dear Dr Edwards
Thank you for your application of 17 May 2011 in which you request permission to conduct research in Victorian government schools and/or early childhood settings titled Waves 5-8 of Growing Up in Australia, the Longitudinal Study of Australian Children.
I am pleased to advise that on the basis of the information you have provided your research proposal is approved in principle subject to the conditions detailed below.
- The research is conducted in accordance with the final documentation you provided to the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
- Separate approval for the research needs to be sought from school principals and/or centre directors and this is to be supported by the DEECD approved documentation and the letter of approval from a relevant and formally constituted Human Research Ethics Committee.
- The project is commenced within 12 months of this approval letter and any extensions or variations to your study, including those requested by an ethics committee must be submitted to the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development for its consideration before you proceed.
- As a matter of courtesy, you advise the relevant Regional Director of the schools or early childhood settings that you intend to approach. An outline of your research and a copy of this letter should be provided to the Regional Director.
- You acknowledge the support of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development in any publications arising from the research.
- The Research Agreement conditions, which include the reporting requirements at the conclusion of your study, are upheld. A reminder will be sent for reports not submitted by the study's indicative completion date.
I wish you well with your research study. Should you have further enquiries on this matter, please contact Kathleen Nolan, Research Officer, Education Policy and Research, by telephone on (03) 9637 3244 or by email.
Dr Elizabeth Hartnell-Young
Education Policy and Research