The Growing Up in Australia consortium
Growing Up in Australia: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children is conducted in partnership between the Department of Social Services (DSS), the Australian Institute of Family Studies (AIFS) and the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
DSS provides overall management of Growing Up in Australia on behalf of the Australian Government.
AIFS is responsible for the design and content of the study, data management and research and dissemination.
ABS is responsible for data collection and delivery, instrument development and management of the Growing Up in Australia sample.
A consortium of leading researchers at research institutions and universities throughout Australia provides advice to the study. The consortium brings together significant research and management expertise. It includes researchers from a wide range of disciplines, including child and adolescent development, sociology, epidemiology, public health, family studies, psychology, paediatrics, mental health, education and employment, services and social policy research, and economics. This breadth of expertise ensures comprehensive coverage of influences on child, adolescent and early adulthood development.
AIFS’ Growing Up in Australia team
|Project Director||Dr Galina Daraganova|
|Senior Survey Research Manager||Dr Karena Jessup|
|Survey Manager||Ms Jennifer Renda|
|Data Manager||Mr Jatender Mohal|
|Senior Research Fellow||Dr Diana Warren|
|Research Fellow||Ms Suzanne Vassallo|
|Senior Research Officer||Ms Bernadette Kok|
|Research Officer||Ms Elsie Foeken|
Consortium Advisory Group (CAG) members
LSAC is supported by Associate Professor Ann Sanson as Principal Scientific Advisor, and the Consortium Advisory Group (CAG) which provides expert advice on the methodology and content of Growing Up in Australia. The CAG is chaired by Professor Steve Zubrick and its membership is as follows:
- Professor Ann Sanson, Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne
- Professor Stephen Zubrick, Winthrop Professor at the University of Western Australia and Senior Principal Research Fellow at the Telethon Institute of Child Health Research, Perth
- Professor Donna Berthelsen, Faculty of Education, Queensland University of Technology
- Professor Michael Bittman, School of Behavioural, Cognitive and Social Sciences, University of New England
- Professor Jan Nicholson, Inaugural Roberta Holmes Professorial Chair, Judith Lumley Centre, La Trobe University
- Assoc. Professor Chris Ryan, Director of the Economics of Education and Child Development Research Program, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne
- Assoc. Professor Lyndall Strazdins, ARC Future Fellow, National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health / Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute, Australian National University
- Professor Melissa Wake, Centre for Community Child Health at the Royal Children's Hospital, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute and University of Melbourne
- Dr Amanda Cooklin, Judith Lumley Centre, La Trobe University
- Assoc. Professor Ben Edwards, ANU Centre for Social Research and Methods, Australian National University
- Dr Julie Moschion, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research and Life Course Centre, University of Melbourne
- Dr Meredith O'Connor, Centre for Community Child Health, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute / College of Arts and Social Science, Australian National University
- Assoc. Professor Tim Slade, NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence in Mental Health and Substance Use, University of NSW
- Professor Erica Smith, School of Education, Federation University Australia
- Assoc. Professor Lisa Smithers, Paediatric Public Health, School of Public Health, University of Adelaide
CAG Expert Advisory Group
LSAC Expert Advisors perform an adjunct advisory role on specific issues relating to LSAC content development, survey methodologies or data analysis. Its membership is as follows:
- Dr. John Ainley, Principal Research Fellow and former Head of Research at Australian Council for Educational Research, Melbourne
- Dr Bruce Bradbury, Senior Research Fellow, Social Policy Research Centre, University of New South Wales
- Assoc. Professor Linda Harrison, School of Teacher Education, Charles Sturt University - Bathurst
- Professor Bryan Rodgers, Family Health and Wellbeing, College of Arts and Social Sciences, Australian National University
- Professor Michael Sawyer, Research and Evaluation Unit, Women's and Children's Hospital, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide